The use of any natural resource, and thus also a hunting ground with game, almost always changes with political changes and we are also often under the influence of the local authorities. Based on the available data, we will briefly state those movements:
From the times of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy until 1918, hunting grounds have been established according to two basic principles, regional (royal/state) and (private) ownership. The Law on Hunting for the Kingdom of Croatia and Slavonia from 1893 defined that the right to hunt could only be realised based on two principles:
- Own property of at least 2.3 km2
- Municipality property not smaller than 5.75 km2, by renting it for 15 years
During the former SHS Kingdom, there were manor and other private hunting grounds on their own land, while other hunting grounds were used by hunting associations through lease. According to some authors, this was a difficult time due to very serious poaching. In 1931, a new Hunting Law entered into force that stipulated the minimal surface for renting a hunting ground as 200 hectares (2 km²). The land belong to the gentry was confiscated and became municipal; they were rented for a period of 12 years. In the time from 1931 to 1941, a series of measures were introduced that improved the unfavourable conditions in the hunting grounds.
During World War II, the game and the hunting grounds again found themselves in a difficult position. The game was killed mercilessly and the control and protection of a large part of the forest complexes was almost impossible. Unfortunately, we have no available data on the legal regulations on hunting for this time period, but we do know that part of the provisions was taken over from the Hunting Law from 1931 with occasional changes and additions by the NDH (Independent state of Croatia). Thus, in 1942 a legal regulation was issued on changes and additions to the Hunting Law of 1931, while in 1943 Instructions on the establishment and auction of the hunting grounds were issued.
Upon the end of World War II, on 29 October 1945, the Regulation on hunting relations entered into force, according to which the hunting grounds were divided into state-owned, municipal and land communities. Private hunting grounds were abolished. Of the state breeding grounds, around 20% of the land remained in the domain of the state, while others, both the municipal and the land community hunting grounds, were given for lease to hunting associations. The Hunting Law of the NRH, on 19 October 1949, among other things, defined the lease of the hunting ground with a duration of 15 years. The obligatory creation of hunting economy principles for a period of ten years was introduced as a novelty with the Hunting Law of the SRH on 24 October 1966.
The X/5 Jasenovača open state hunting ground
Until 1971, the hunting ground was divided into five parts and they were managed by the following companies: Vepar/Boar (Slatina), Zec/Hare (Bakić), Fazan/Pheasant (Vraneševci), Sokol/Hawk (Čađavica) and Jelen/Red deer (Nova Bukovica). In 1972, with the decision of the former SO Slatina, the hunting ground was formed within today’s borders and awarded for management to ROŠ Slavonska šuma/Slavonian forest (Vinkovci) OOUR for breeding and protection of Papuk (Slatina) forests, the legal predecessor of JP Hrvatske šume/Croatian Forests – Forest Management Našice. As of 15 December 1994, the Private open hunting ground X/5 Jasenovača was established that was managed until 1999 by JP Hrvatske šume – Forest Management Našice.
Based on the public tender for a hunting concession on the hunting grounds established on the land owned by the state, from 30 July 1999 until 13 December 2007, the concessionaire with the right to hunt was the company Gaj d.d. (Slatina). As of 4 September 2006, the X/5 Jasenovača open state hunting ground was established, managed by the company Jošavac d.o.o. (Slatina) according to the Decision of the Ministry of Regional Development, Forestry and Water Management, based on the most favourable offer, as of 22 April 2008 for a period of 10 hunting years.